Outcome 12 – Update – Almost there!
UPDATE | Fall 2020
We will enhance our support for professors in their teaching by providing opportunities for faculty/peer mentoring and collaboration with colleagues who specialize in pedagogy and instructional design.
Sponsor: Provost and Vice-President Academic
Lead: Associate Vice-President, Learning and Teaching
A number of initiatives have been established or are ongoing in support of Outcome 12 that reflect the University’s commitment to providing high quality education.
- Teaching Fellows program established in 2018; two fellows began in July 2018 (Aaron Langille; technology enabled learning) and Charles Daviau (Indigenous approaches to teaching) and two teaching fellows commenced in July 2019: Patricia Orozco (Experiential Learning); Georges Kpazai (learning outcomes). Two new fellows began in July 2020 – Robert Schinke (mentoring graduate students) and Jorge Virchez (cultural diversity and internationalization). Fellows have been conducting outreach initiatives, holding office hours, and facilitating workshops to support faculty members in their teaching.
- Curriculum Specialist hired in the Teaching & Innovation unit of the Centre for Academic Excellence to support faculty members in writing learning outcomes and departments through the Institutional Quality Assurance Process (IQAP).
- Teaching and Learning Days hosted in April 2019, which included: 29 sessions and 100+ minutes of teaching & innovation drop-in support.
- The Centre for Academic Excellence hosted 20 faculty workshops between January and April 2020, plus conducted special drop-in hours for faculty members as they prepared their teaching dossiers for their end of year annual reports. An abundance of additional support has been provided throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, including development of a new teaching and learning website, an open textbook, plus additional support in delivering courses virtually and navigating online platforms, through workshops, Zoom appointments, and oneon-one consultation.
- Continued focus on the initiatives above in close consideration of our new Academic Plan and adaptation to alternative course delivery modalities.