Outcome 10 – Update – In full swing!
UPDATE | Fall 2020
Laurentian’s rapidly growing international student population will experience a welcoming campus community created by university personnel equipped with appropriate communication and cultural training.
Sponsor: Provost and Vice-President Academic
Lead: Associate Vice-President, Learning and Teaching; Director, Student Engagement; Director of Student Recruitment
This Outcome intersects with the implementation of the International Student Recruitment & Retention Action Plan, with a focus on enhancing international student outcomes through admission, academic, pre-arrival and online support, student mentorship, and meaningful integration of students on campus and in the broader community. Several units have adapted to be able to ensure that internationalization is a core priority.
- Teaching Fellow in Cultural Diversity and Globalization started in July 2020 in order to support faculty members and graduate teaching assistants in welcoming international students.
- New Welcome Guide for international students.
- Peer International Cultural Ambassadors program matches international students with incoming international students.
- Broad collaboration on the plan for welcoming international students on campus in times of COVID-19, aligned to the Public Health Institutional Readiness Requirements for International Students.
- Addition of regulated international student immigration advisors to provide direct immigration advice to students.
- Continued adaptation and collaboration as mentioned above as we move beyond the pandemic.
- Important consideration of intersections with work relating to Outcome 23 and of the new Ad Hoc Senate Committee on Racism and Discrimination.